Police in Northamptonshire are issuing a second warning about the dangers of cannabis-laced sweets after colleagues in Surrey reported four children were recently hospitalised after ingesting sweets which were presumed to be infused with the drug.
Detective Chief Inspector Gan Thayanithy, the local policing lead for the north of the county said: “Last month we issued a warning after one of my officers seized a quantity of the sweets – often called ‘edibles’ - in transit to an address in Kettering.
“These sweets may look innocuous but they are particularly dangerous as they’re unregulated and there’s no way of knowing the levels of cannabis they contain. In fact, some have been discovered to also contain MDMA, which is a Class A drug because of its harmful effects on health.
“It’s easy to misjudge doses and children who have eaten such sweets have suffered side effects like vomiting, dizziness, panic attacks and even unconsciousness.
“I urge parents and carers to make their children aware of this issue and also to be mindful of the possible food packaging/wrappers with wording such as CBD or THC suggesting items are cannabis oil infused, as pictured. Please be mindful of the medical needs should your child present with symptoms, or if it becomes apparent they have consumed a drug-laced substance.”
Anybody with any information should report it to Northamptonshire Police on 101, or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. If you or a member of your family are concerned about drugs or drug addiction, information and advice is available here