Message from Chief Constable Nick Adderley - NPCC Lead for Motorcycling
Main article content
As the National Police Chief's Council lead for Motorcycling and BikeSafe, I thought this would be a timely reminder to explain certain restriction that exist between England and the rest of the UK.
I would want to make the point that as a keen motorcyclist myself, the temptation to start mass ride outs and social events on the motorcycling scene is huge, however the threat still posed by COVID-19 must be respected and understood to ensure that we all comply with the guidance and regulations issued by the devolved administrations.
The lives of our families, friends and all who enjoy the UK as a place to live, work or visit are still in the balance.
For clarity -
Group rides are still not allowed but if you’re in England you can ride with one friend under the following conditions:
UK government advice applicable to England only permits exercise alone, between members of the same household or with one person from another household if you stay at least two metres apart at all times.
All of us in the biker community need to respect that position and it’s now time to step-up and show how we are part of the solution and not the problem when it comes to containing the virus as well as protecting the NHS.
To that end, especially with the Bank Holiday weekend approaching I urge every one of us to remember and abide by the following advice:
- Maintain social distancing at all times
- Check your bike over carefully when it’s been unused for a while
- If you didn't renew your bike insurance policy during lock down, do it now
- Try to avoid rush hour if possible
- The government has clarified that you can ride to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance so long as you respect social distancing guidance while you are there but it’s important that we don’t see large groups of motorcyclists congregating at single spots
- You are an ambassador for motorcycling – ride with care, consideration and safety in mind
- Be respectful of all other road users
- Do not ride across UK borders unless necessary
Roads Policing teams across the UK will be out in significant numbers over the coming days and weeks and while there is a strong emphasis on engaging with motorists, if circumstances show a clear disregard for the restrictions, enforcement will be an option.
As a police motorcyclist and an avid leisure rider, I know bikers across the UK are, in the main, law-abiding, socially responsible and terrific supporters of our emergency services. I now call on that vast majority to exercise patience and understanding which will allow the wider public to see the biking community as one that can be held in high regard and trusted to do the right thing.