Have you got an eye for design? Enter our competition!
Main article content
Young people with a talent for design are being set a new challenge to create a poster or leaflet which could be used in communities to help raise awareness of the risk of arson.
If you are under 18 and would like to help in protecting Northamptonshire against arson, you are invited to email in your design to our Arson Reduction Competition.
Prevention Team Leader Darren Carson said: “We are delighted to launch this competition in schools, other youth groups in the county and to young people still learning at home.
“Arson is a troubling issue whenever we see it in this county and we hope this poster competition will help not only raise the awareness of young people about just how serious this crime can be, but also help them to reach out to their communities with important messages about how to prevent and protect against arson. I wish everyone lots of luck in coming up with their designs!”
The joint Arson Task Force and Prevention teams (Northamptonshire Police and Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service) are looking for colourful, eye-catching leaflet or poster designs which will raise awareness of the risk of:
- Fires to wheelie and other rubbish bins
- Fires to fly-tipped rubbish
- People deliberately setting fires in outside spaces such as parks
The posters/leaflets could also:
- Encourage people to ring 999 if they see fire in an open space/in an emergency
- Remind people they can anonymously report details about arson via Crimestoppers, by calling 0800 555111 or or completing a form anonymously at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
- Encourage young people who know something about local arsons to report anonymously online through Fearless.org
More arson resources and potential ideas for poster messages can be found from websites such as:
- Information about Crimestoppers can also be found at: www.crimestoppers-uk.org or Fearless at www.fearless.org
- £75 for the winning poster/leaflet and £25 for the runner-up
(The prize money was made possible through contributions from Crimestoppers in Northamptonshire, the Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner and Northamptonshire Police.)
- See your design being used in communities to help support arson prevention work by Northamptonshire Police and Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service
How to take part:
- Entrants must be under 18
- People can enter this competition as an individual or a group
- Entries to be emailed to: [email protected]
- Closing date is July 17