An investigation into the death of 72-year-old Ralph Baxter has been closed following a decision by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Mr Baxter died in Roade, Northampton, on Wednesday, April 8, with a post-mortem concluding he died as a result of a heart attack.
Mr Baxter had been involved in an altercation a short time prior to his heart attack, however the CPS concluded that the evidence was insufficient to link the two events to the degree required to prosecute for an offence of murder or manslaughter.
A 28-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder has been released with no further action.
Detective Superintendent Joe Banfield, said: “Specialist officers continue to support Ralph’s family at this time and they have kindly asked the media to continue to respect their privacy while they grieve.
“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of the members of the public who came forward with their witness accounts and information in relation to this incident.”
A spokesperson for the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “The CPS has carefully considered all of the available evidence in relation to the death of Ralph Baxter and we have concluded that our legal test for prosecution is not met. In these circumstances we cannot pursue any criminal charges. Our thoughts remain with his family.”