Six people found guilty of conspiracy to cause public nuisance
Main article content
Six people involved in the invasion of the track during the Formula 1 British Grand Prix at Silverstone last year have been found guilty of a conspiracy to cause public nuisance.
On July 3, 2022, Emily Brocklebank, 24, of Yeadon, Leeds, Alasdair Gibson, 22, of Aberdeen, Bethany Mogie, 40, of St Albans, Hertfordshire, Joshua Smith, 29, of Manchester, and Louis McKechnie, 22, of Manchester, jumped over the barriers just after the race had started at 3pm.
Armed with glue and intending to glue themselves to the floor, the five of them managed to walk onto the tarmac and sit down on the live race track.
David Baldwin, 47, of Witney, Oxfordshire, was stopped by a marshal as he began to climb over the fence. Superglue was later found concealed in his sock.
Their intentions were thwarted by quick-to-act marshals who swiftly dragged the five off the track before all six were arrested by police officers.
Their actions came even after Northamptonshire Police had issued a plea two days prior to race day, telling them that a track invasion would be exceptionally dangerous and offering them alternative places at the circuit where a peaceful protest could be facilitated.
All six were subsequently charged with conspiracy to cause public nuisance and following a trial at Northampton Crown Court which started on Tuesday, January 24, and ended today (February 10), they were all found guilty by the jury.
Lead Investigator – Detective Sergeant Cory Wise, said: “The actions of these six people could have had fatal consequences and had it not been for an incident at the beginning of the race which caused it to be red-flagged, they could have been facing cars going at speeds in excess of 200mph.
“They not only put their lives at risk but also those of the drivers, as well as the many marshals, volunteers and members of the public. This is completely unacceptable, whatever the cause or the reason, and we will always pursue action against people like this.
“Protesting is of course everyone’s human right in this country and we clearly communicated to this group before race day that we were more than willing to work with them to facilitate something peaceful, that didn’t endanger people’s lives, however they chose not to listen.
“I am pleased therefore that all six were found guilty today by the jury and I hope this case shows the seriousness with which we take incidents like this and that anything that puts innocent members of the public at risk will not be tolerated.”
Alex Lacey, Operations Director at Silverstone, also welcomed today’s verdict:
She said: “We are incredibly grateful for the work Northamptonshire Police has done in bringing this complex case to trial and securing the successful convictions today.
"Silverstone works incredibly closely with the Force in the run-up to and staging of the British Grand Prix to ensure we deliver a safe and secure weekend and we will continue to maintain that close bond going forward into this year’s event and beyond.”