A 27-year-old man has been sentenced to nine years in prison after pleading guilty to multiple sexual offences in Northampton.
Cuneyt Yildirim, previously of Northampton, pleaded guilty to one count of rape, nine counts of sexual activity with a child, two counts of causing a child to engage in sexual activity, and two counts of meeting a child following sexual grooming, at an earlier court hearing in May.
The offences form part of Northamptonshire Police’s Operation Antigua – an investigation launched at the end of June 2020 which focuses on reported sexual abuse between the years of 2006 and 2016, all originating from the statue in Abington Street where young people would gather.
Yildirim’s offences relate to sexual abuse against three girls.
One of them was just 14-years-old in 2016 when the then 21-year-old Yildirim had sex with her. He also coerced her into sending sexual images of herself to him.
Another woman was only 15-years-old in 2015 when Yildirim contacted her on Facebook and started asking her for sexual images. She sent one before refusing to any send more at which point Yildirim became aggressive and threatening.
Finally, Yildirim sexually assaulted another girl only last year in the summer of 2021 when she was just 13-years-old.
At Northampton Crown Court on May 12, 2022, Yildirim pleaded guilty to 14 sexual offences. Today (June 24) he was sentenced at the same court to nine years in prison with 17 years on licence.
Lead Investigator – DS Colin Bowers, said: “I welcome the sentence handed out to Cuneyt Yildirim today and I hope it provides some closure to the three young women in this case.
“Though no court process or sentence can take away the pain inflicted on them by Yildirim, I hope the conclusion of this two-year investigation, and the fact that he will now go to prison because of their bravery in coming forward, provides them with some form of justice.
“Northamptonshire Police never underestimates the courage it takes for survivors of sexual assault to come forward and talk to the police and I hope this case shows the seriousness with which we take these reports.”
Detective Inspector Liz Basham, said: “This is really good result that has been brought about by the courage of these three young women and the hard work of the investigation team.
“A number of people came forward as a result of our Operation Antigua appeals in 2020 and I just want to reassure them that the operation remains very much active with more investigations continuing to take place.”
If you have been a victim of sexual assault, whether recent or non-recent, please come forward by calling 101 or clicking Northamptonshire Police online reporting tool at www.northants.police.uk.
If you have been a victim of a sexual offence but are not yet ready to speak to the police, please visit www.voicenorthants.org or call Voice on 0300 303 1965.
Voice, is a support service for anyone living in Northamptonshire, regardless of when, where or how crime happened to you. Services are free, confidential and you don’t have to have reported anything to the police.