What to look out for
Doorstep crime takes two forms:
Distraction Burglary Tactics
Distraction Burglars or ‘bogus callers’ will call at a house with the intention of tricking their way inside to steal money and/ or other valuables.
- Distraction burglars may be smartly dressed and claim to be from the water board, the council, the police, health organisations or charities
- They may say they need to turn off the water because of a leak, use the phone because their car has broken down, or perhaps say they have lost a pet
- The caller may be a man, a woman or even a child and they will use any story they can to try and gain access to the property
Rogue Doorstep Traders Tactics
Rogue Doorstep Traders will use a trade as a means to extract large sums of money from people.
- Offering services such as driveway re-surfacing, block paving, roofing, fascias, gardening or selling goods such furniture, alarms or mobility aids.
- They may claim you have loose roof tile or that a tree you have is unsafe and needs to be trimmed
- They will often give a very low quote that will increase when work begins
- Sometimes they will drive victims to the bank and will often come back on future occasions to get more money