Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Reporting a damage only Road Traffic Collision

If your collision is damage only, Northamptonshire Police will not investigate it as this is a matter for your insurance company. 

Where details have been exchanged, there is no need to report this incident to the police. Should investigations conducted by your insurance company show any exchanged details as false, this matter can then be reported to the police.  

Where no details have been exchanged, you will be provided with a Northamptonshire Police incident number to provide to your insurance company to confirm you have reported the incident. This incident number can be obtained via enquiry to a police front counter or by calling 101. 

A report will only be taken via a police front counter when details have not been exchanged and if there is enough evidence for the police to investigate - i.e. Registration number, make and model of vehicle.

If you believe the collision has been captured on CCTV, please make enquiries with the owner of the CCTV before you report the collision to Northants Police via a police front counter.

A collision which has occurred in a car park (either private or public) will NOT be investigated unless the damage or injury is serious. A minor scratch / dent will not be investigated even if the other vehicle has failed to stop. This matter should be referred to your insurance company to progress.


Back to Top