More than sixty HGVs checked in A5 operation
March 17, 2017
A multi-agency, cross-border policing operation took place this week at the A5 border with Northamptonshire.
The operation involved the interception and checking of 62 HGVs and vans using the A5. The following offences were found:
• Three MOT offences
• Three vehicles being driven without insurance
• One vehicle excise licence offence
• Four tacho/documentation offences
• Three waste carrying offences
• Six vehicles prohibited from continuing on their journeys because of various defects ranging from faulty emissions, inoperative headlights, cracked windscreens to load offences.
Checks were also made on the welfare of livestock being transported and dogs in vehicles were micro-chip tested.
Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Community Safety and Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue provided information on bridge strikes, weight restrictions and the 'fatal 4' driving offences – not wearing a seatbelt, speeding, driving while using a mobile phone and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.