What is the Countywide Traveller Unit?
The Countywide Traveller Unit (CTU) deals with unauthorised Traveller encampments and other Traveller related issues.
They are the central point of contact for all Traveller matters throughout Northamptonshire and their purpose is to bring together a specialist multi-agency team to deal with traveller issues across the county in a co-ordinated and proactive way.
The Countywide Traveller Unit will:
- Provide information and advice on all Traveller matters
- Deal with unauthorised encampments either directly or in liaison with private landowners
- Work with Travellers and the settled community to reduce problems and improve relationships
- Work with Travellers and other agencies to tackle anti-social and unacceptable behaviour
- Try to increase the number of legitimate, acceptable places for Travellers to stay
- Help travellers with access to education, health and social care services and accommodation.
The Unit works together to deal with Traveller matters on behalf of all the councils in Northamptonshire (except East Northamptonshire Council). The Unit has widespread support from partners within the county.
- Corby Borough Council
- Daventry District Council
- Kettering Borough Council
- Northampton Borough Council
- Northamptonshire Police
- Northamptonshire Teaching Primary Care Trust
- Northamptonshire County Council
- South Northamptonshire District Council
- The Police Authority
- Wellingborough Borough Council
The Gypsy and Traveller Policy document on the right provides information and guidance to ensure all policies and working practices are consistent with Government guidance and comply with specified legislation and Human Rights.