National Anti-Terrorist hotline: 0800 789 321
The terrorist threat remains real and there is no room for complacency. The public should remain alert and aware of their surrounding at all times. If something strikes you as suspicious and out of place then trust your instincts and call the police.
Terrorists have to live somewhere. They store their equipment and materials somewhere. They need vehicles. They have people who help them - and these people might come and go at strange times of the day and night. They may make unusual financial transactions or use false documents to hide their real identities. They may be behaving differently to how you've known them to behave in the past.
If you suspect it, report it. You can also give non-urgent information that may assist police investigations online.
- Van – Terrorists need transport. If you work in commercial vehicle hire or sales, has a sale or rental made you suspicious?
- Passport – Terrorists use multiple identities. Do you know someone with documents in different names for no obvious reason?
- Mobile phone – Terrorists need communication. Anonymous, pay-as-you-go and stolen mobiles are typical. Have you seen someone with large quantities of mobile phones? Has it made you suspicious?
- Camera – Terrorists need information. Observation and surveillance help terrorists plan attacks. Have you seen anyone taking pictures of security arrangements?
- Chemicals – Do you know someone buying large or unusual quantities of chemicals for no obvious reason?
- Mask and goggles – Terrorists use protective equipment. Handling chemicals is dangerous. Maybe you've seen goggles or masks dumped somewhere.
- Credit card – Terrorists need funding. Cheque and credit card fraud are ways terrorists generate cash. Have you seen any suspicious transactions?
- Computer – Terrorists use computers. Do you know someone who visits terrorist-related websites?
- Suitcase – Terrorists need to travel. Meetings training and planning can take place anywhere. Do you know someone who travels but is vague about where they are going?
- Padlock – Terrorists need storage. Lock-ups, garages and sheds can all be used by terrorists to store equipment. Are you suspicious of anyone renting a commercial property?
If you suspect any terrorist activity call the Anti Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321 or Northamptonshire Police on 03000 111 222.
In an emergency
If you think you have seen a person acting suspiciously, or if you see a vehicle, unattended package or bag which might be a threat, immediately move away and call 999.
IF YOU SUSPECT IT, REPORT IT!
To find out more about all kinds of civil emergencies and crises that can affect the UK, plus emergency planning guidance and government information click here.