Northamptonshire Police is committed to preventing and detering doorstep crime from the County, and to help keep safe, those most vulnerable from this type of crime. Our Doorstep crime Action Network (DAN) brings together members of the public, private, public, charity, and community sector organisations.
We are asking anyone who has contact with an elderly or vulnerable person to pass on the gentle crime prevention reminders to help prevent them from becoming a victim of doorstep crime.
We need more people on the look out
If you have any suspicions or concerns that doorstep rogue traders or distraction burglars are operating in your community or targeting someone you know, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated doorstep crime hotline: 0345 23 07 702
If a crime is in progress, dial 999
Together we can look out and lock offenders up and prevent doorstep crime from happening to someone you know.
Doorstep crime takes two forms
- Distraction Burglars or ‘bogus callers’ will call at a house with the intention of tricking their way inside to steal money and/ or other valuables.
- Rogue Doorstep Traders will use a trade (such as block paving, landscaping etc) as a means to extract large sums of money from people.
Unlike a burglary where an offender may use an opportunity to climb in through an open window, walk in through an unlocked open door, or force their way into a property, distraction burglars (bogus callers) will use stories to trick their way into a home.
Most callers at your home will be genuine. However those who engage in doorstep crime can be very convincing and persuasive in order to gain access to your property. Their aim is to steal money or valuables, or to offer overpriced trade services.
"If you are not sure, don’t open the door"
- Make sure you can see who is at the door before you answer it. Where possible fit a spy-hole to identify callers. Alternatively talk to them through an adjacent windows
- Don’t feel pressured into opening the door. Don’t feel you are being rude, genuine callers won’t mind
- Set up passwords with your utility companies, genuine callers will need to recite this password to you
- Don’t use telephone numbers on ID cards, if the person isn’t genuine the ID and the telephone number won't be either. Obtain telephone numbers direct from the phone directory. Alternatively make a list of your important numbers and keep them near the phone
- Look out for those who are vulnerable within your family, or neighbourhoods
- In Northamptonshire many agencies have come together to form the Doorstep crime Action Network (DAN). If you have any suspicions or concerns that doorstep rogue traders or distraction burglars are operating in your community or targeting someone you know, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated doorstep crime hotline: 0345 23 07 702
- For help finding a reliable local trader, check out the Trading Standards service 'Buy with Confidence' scheme.
Doorstep crime Action Network
What to look out for
Doorstep crime Prevention Advice
Buy with Confidence Leaflet